This post has been sponsored by Prego®. All opinions and recipe ideas are my own.
I’ve only attempted traditional lasagna in my kitchen a handful of times. One, I don’t like to fuss with cooking those gigantic noodles and then having them tear or get stuck together before I can get the dish finished and two, it’s just too tedious and takes too long to bake. I just don’t have time for that!
Which is why I created a shortcut which tastes just as good and takes under thirty minutes.
Seven ingredients. Could it be simpler? I think not.
ITALIAN SAUSAGE SKILLET LASAGNA
Your first step will be to get a large pot of water going on the stove. While your salted pasta water is coming up to a boil you’ll want to brown your Italian sausage in a skillet.
When your sausage is fully cooked, take the skillet lid and use it to help drain any of the excess oil from the pan.
By this point your pasta water should be at a rolling boil. For this recipe I chose to use Hearty Homestyle Wide Egg Noodles. They were the closest resemblance to traditional lasagna noodles. Place your egg noodles into the water and set your timer for 11 minutes.
While your pasta cooks you are going to finish up your sauce. To the browned meat, add your Prego Traditional Italian Sauce, grated Parmesan cheese and grated Italian cheese blend (Mozzarella, Provelone, Parmesan, Asiago, Fontina and Romano).
Stir these ingredients together along with a chiffonade of fresh basil leaves.
When your pasta is fully cooked, drain it completely and then add it to the sauce in your skillet. Stir to incorporate.
Once your pasta has been coated with all that heavenly sauce it’s time to open your ricotta cheese. Use a small cookie scooper to scoop mounds of ricotta onto the top of your pasta. Take the skillet lid and place it on your dish. This will allow the heat from the pasta dish to melt the ricotta cheese. Once the ricotta is nice and melty top your dish with a few more ribbons of fresh basil.
ITALIAN SAUSAGE SKILLET LASAGNA RECIPE
- 8 ounces Hearty Homestyle Wide Egg Noodles
- 24 ounces Prego Traditional Italian Sauce
- 16 ounces Italian sausage
- 1 cup grated Italian cheese blend
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- fresh basil
- Place a large pot of salted water on to boil.
- Brown your Italian sausage in a skillet.
- Drain the excess oil from your browned meat.
- When your water comes to a rolling boil add your wide egg noodles and cook according to package directions.
- To the browned meat, add your Prego Traditional Italian Sauce, grated Parmesan cheese, grated Italian cheese blend and a little chiffonade of fresh basil. Stir to combine.
- Drain your pasta and add it to the skillet and stir until all of your pasta is coated in sauce.
- Use a small cookie scooper to scoop mounds of ricotta onto the top of your pasta.
- Take the skillet lid and place it on your dish to melt the ricotta cheese.
- Top your dish with additional ribbons of fresh basil.
Lasagna in under thirty minutes. I don’t think you can even warm up a frozen panned lasagna that quickly. This will taste so much better than a pre-packaged meal!
How about you. Do you have a go-to pasta dish to cook up in under 30 minutes? Sound off in the comment section below.